Hockey in Sweden
Sweden is known for its historic culture, shifting climate, gorgeous mountains, and above all else, ice hockey. Alongside soccer, ice hockey is the most popular sport in Sweden. The sport was first organized in 1920 and the Swedish Ice Hockey Association was born in 1922. Today, the Swedish Ice Hockey Association is in charge of controlling leagues at the professional level like the Swedish Hockey League, women's professional leagues, and all of the junior level leagues.
The Swedish men's national hockey team has been very successful, receiving gold at the World Hockey Championships in 2013. That brought their all-time medal count to 45, only 1 medal behind the leaders, Canada and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic who both have 46 respectively. In the Winter Olympics, the Swedes brought home gold in both 1994 and 2006. The women's national team also finished with silver in 2006. According to the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) world ranking, Sweden is ranked #1 as of 2014.
With a ProActive Hockey tour in Sweden, your team would be able to compete against some of the best opponents in the world. With over 500 hockey clubs and over 300 arenas in Sweden, there are plenty of teams at every level that are raring to face new competition. You and your team will also be able to experience the Swedish culture and traditions, visiting popular locations such as Gothenburg, Malmo, Marstrand, and the capital, Stockholm.
Notable Swedish Players in the NHL:
- Daniel Alfredsson: Currently playing for the Detroit Red Wings, Alfredsson was captain of the Ottawa Senators from 1999-2013. Former teams- Ottawa Senators, Frölunda HC
- Henrik Sedin: Currently playing for the Vancouver Canucks, Sedin serves as the team captain. Former team- MODO Hockey
- Daniel Sedin: Twin brother of Henrik, Daniel Sedin also currently plays and serves as the alternate captain for the Vancouver Canucks. Former team- MODO Hockey
- Henrik Zetterburg: Currently serving as captain of the Detroit Redwings, Zetterberg was the 2008 Con Smythe Trophy recipient (playoff MVP) in 2008. Former team- Timrå IK
- Carl Söderberg: Currently playing for the Boston Bruins, Söderberg played most of his career playing in the Swedish professional league. Former teams- Linköpings HC, Malmö Redhawks
- Loui Eriksson: Currently playing for the Boston Bruins, Eriksson has spent the majority of his professional career with the Dallas stars. Former teams- Dallas Stars, Frölunda HC
- Niklas Kronwall: Currently playing for the Detroit Redwings, Niklas Kronwall serves as the alternate captain and top defenseman. Former teams- Djurgårdens IF Hockey, Huddinge IK
- Henrik Lundqvist: Currently goaltending for the New York Rangers, Lundqvist was awarded the Venzima trophy (top NHL goaltender) in 2012. Former team- Frölunda HC
Coming soon! Blogs posted weekly.
Special thanks to and images copyrighted by ProActive Travel Group, Tricia Hall, Mikael Miettinen, Phil Price, and Dennis Jarvis.